December 6, 2013

Christmas From Heaven, True Story of the Berlin Candy Bomber

is my new favorite children's Christmas book this year.
Normally, I read these books to myself before I read them to my
kids, but I picked this off the shelf and just started reading.
That was a mistake! I could barely read. I cried through the whole book.
I was so touched with the sweet story.
I definitely recommend using the DVD to tell the story. It comes with it.
And Tom Brokaw doesn't bawl like a little baby.


Christmas from Heaven is the True Story of Gail Halvorsen, a young pilot in the US Army Corps who was assigned to be a cargo pilot and fly needed supplies into Berlin which was blocked by the Soviet Union. These missions were live saving for the people who couldn't get food, supplies or the necessities of life.


One day Halvorsen sees a group of about 30 children watching the planes come and go. He desperately wants to help them but he has nothing to give. He takes out 4 pieces of gum out of his pocket. He passes them through the fence to the children and witnesses them divide up the gum ever so carefully to share with all. The children smell the wrappers and smile. He becomes determined to do more.

You will have to buy the book to read about how Halvorsen became known to a war-torn country as the Candy Bomber.

WARNING: KEEP BOX OF TISSUES HANDY.


I included this photo of Gail Halvorsen signing copies of his new book. I love seeing pictures of our service men and women.

This picture below is an image of my Grandfather (left) who flew missions during World War II and was also a pilot.


GIVEAWAY!!!
Who wants a free book?

Just leave a comment with your name and email address below and you will be entered to win!!!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WINNERS FROM PAST GIVEAWAYS!!!

Follow Me To Zion Winner: Chels 
The Rent Collector Winner: Rylyn
52 Life-Changing Questions From The Book Of Mormon: Winner: Freja

Please email me at someoneinmindblog@gmaill.com with your
name and mailing address.

Wahoo. You won something!!!




4 comments:

Jaime said...

I'm counting on winning one of your giveaways for Christmas. :) jaime_hemmert@yahoo.com By the way, my son's second grade teacher talked about this book to their class, so it would be fun to own it.

cyndi-lou-who:. said...

I would love to win the candy bomber book! hunting_addiction55@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

I just learned about this story this year from a friend that attended the concert at the tabernacle they had with Mr. Halvorsen. I can't wait to read about it. I love stories like these. It is always the small acts of kindness that really make a difference in the lives of others.

We have a 5 yr old little girl and she is often talking about how to help others and what we can do. I know she would love this book as well.

Wendy Liechty liechtyfamilyis@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

Hi Erin, I received this inspiring book from a contest that I entered through the Home For Christmas media event. I loved it so much, I had to post about children who didn't beg for anything at a time when our kids have so much to enjoy.

I enjoyed your blog's message and added a link to it on my post. Nice to meet you and wish I would have had the chance to meet Col. Halverson. You can read my story here: http://retireforthefunofit.com/candy-bomber/