July 5, 2018

"Trek The Movie" Review

Next year our East Blackfoot Stake will be taking the youth on Trek. I've personally never been, so I was excited to watch this movie with my kids and get a taste for what our experience might be like. The movie tells the story of a young boy who is reluctant to go on Trek because his testimony of God is Struggling. His dad bribes him to go and so he goes only to get a ski pass in the future. My 14 year old doesn't like to camp, so I imagine I could possibly be bribing him next year too. The story continues with some obstacles that force the kids to grow together and to pray to God. Several parts warmed my heart and for the most part I enjoyed the film.


There was a teen age boy and teenage girl that kept escaping camp and hiding so that they could make out. I seriously think these scenes took away from the film and made me uncomfortable watching it with my children. I do not think that this movie is a Family movie for that reason. The scenes were over done and didn't play off as funny. Even my teen kids were annoyed with all the KISSING that could have been left out and wouldn't have been missed. I'm guessing there were 3 super short kissing scenes that we will fast forward through in the future. 



I loved a few of the characters and think that overall it tells a story a few kids growing in faith and strengthening their testimonies. Brother Pratt's scene at the end was my favorite part. It was well acted and well written and Balanced the movie out. It made me cry and it was very memorable.


 There were several funny parts and our favorite parts involved Twinkies and burying the Chocolate stuffed baby. I would rate this movie a 3 our of 5 Starts. I would watch it again and probably will even invite my Young Women to watch it with me, but I will be fast forwarding the unneeded kissing scenes. I do think that several of the youth in my ward will be able to relate to one or most of these characters as there is a good variety of stories and backgrounds displayed.


If you watch the movie, be sure to let me know what you think. While it wasn't my favorite LDS Genre movie, I think it has enough heart to stick around for years to come, and it did make me super excited to go on Trek next summer.

You can purchase the movie at:
 Amazon  

No comments: