January 2, 2012

Intentional Prayer by Laurel Christensen

I loved this post by my friend Laurel.  She is turning 40 in 40 days. I'm turning 40 in about 4 years. Wow, how time just seems to fly. I love this scripture and thought I would share her message with you. One of my New Year's Resolution's is to have more sincere prayer, but I think I will also add more Intentional Prayer to the list. Hope you enjoy the message. You can find Laurel's blog right {HERE}.


Intentional Prayer by Laurel Christensen



The effectual
fervent prayer
of a righteous [woman]
availeth much.
James 5:16








effectual
 [ih-fek-choo-uhl]: capable of producing an intended effect
fervent [fur-vuhnt]: showing great intensity of spirit

I'm amazed at the ways the Lord has used my friends to speak to me. 
I could fill volumes just representing the last year alone. 

But, this little volume is about a couple of dear friends who are turning 40 with me this year. 
These girls are uncommonly good.
One of them suggested that we needed to do something really special.
She arranged for a conference call between the three of us.
I thought she was going to suggest a grand trip we could take together.
Or some "bucket list" item we could complete and cross off.

But, instead...

"I've been thinking a lot about this and I think we need to unite in intentional prayer for each other for the 40 days leading up to our birthdays."

And though the term "intentional prayer" is not really used in the Mormon faith, I'm smart enough to know what it must mean.
And my little heart nearly jumped out of my chest.
I knew this was something I needed to do.

Who does that?
Who thinks to suggest such a thing?

My good, Christian, Godly-devoted friends, that's who.
Oh, how I love them.

We each shared a bit of the things in our hearts and committed to each other to pray...really pray...with real intention.
Effectual.
Fervent.
Prayer.
For 40 days.

I could not be given a better gift for my birthday. 
To pray for my friends.
And to know they are praying for me.

My "40 days" starts tomorrow (can you believe 'tis only 40 days?).
(And isn't that a great way to end one year and begin another?)
One of the girls "40 days" already began. 
So, we've already been praying for her for a few days. 

And what I'm learning about prayer...
...about the significance of the number "40"
...about the power of praying for others...
in just a few days...

Well, let's just say I've got some things to share.
Good things.

Stay tuned.

(image found here)

1 comment:

Wendy said...

We had a boy share his feelings about prayer yesterday in church. I felt his sincerity and hope in prayer. What a great way to learn from others!