January 18, 2012

Christmas In January: A Re-do

Let the Record books show that I love my husband. I care for him deeply, I rely on him, I appreciate him and value him so highly. I try to express my love for him but sometimes I think I fall short. 


I have told the blogosphere herehere, here, here, and here the things I love and appreciate and admire about my husband and I have also shared a love letter that Scott wrote me here

But sometimes I find it easier to sincerely tell all of you how much I love him and appreciate him that it is to tell him and make him believe that I mean it. 

Do you ever find it hard to truly show appreciation for your spouse?

I find it hard sometimes to convince Scott that I truly appreciate all that he does for our family. It is easy to say the words, "thank you", or "you are awesome", or "I really appreciate that", but I have found it really difficult to show him how much I value him. 

Scott is a rare bread. He is a doer. He will do whatever job there is that needs to be done; whatever service that will lighten my burdens is his primary focus. I am starting to realize just how much I have taken him for granted. I don't try to. I don't mean to. 

I am a loving and a giving person, but I have grown accustomed to him doing more than his share of the load, more than he should, and I have started to just expect it.

EXPECT IT.

What does this say about me? (too scared to really know the answer to this one.)

I have become selfish. I have prioritized myself, my children, my interests, my needs....MY. (evil word)

One of my resolutions for 2012 is to start prioritizing the needs of my husband. I don't think this is going to be easy for me. I really have become selfish.

My first item on the agenda was to RE-DO Christmas. You see, when Christmas morning came I didn't have one thing to give Scott. Not a Card, Not a gift...Nothing. I had been so preoccupied with my surgery that I had failed to plan anything for him. 

Now Scott & I are never very conventional about giving gifts to each other. And Scott rarely has anything wrapped under the tree for me either. In September when I so selfishly told Scott that there was a camera that I wanted for Christmas, he told me to get in the car and he drove me straightaway to get it. That is just how he works. He hates depriving me of ANYTHING. 

Insert my beautiful camera! My Christmas present from Scott in September.



Oh, how I love this totally ridiculously expensive camera. 
It is not practical and I don't NEED it...but I love it. A lot.



Spoiled, right?

I decided that I wanted to do something for Scott.

Now, Scott doesn't really care that much about stuff. And the truth is he would rather have me NOT spend money on him and send the money straight to our savings account. But the problem is that he NEVER buys himself anything and I still wanted to do something nice for him.

So Monday the kids and I started to prepare. We decorated with Christmas lights, cooked a nice formal dinner, wrapped gifts, made treats and sent Scott funny Christmas-y texts throughout the day.

When he got home from work we shouted Merry Christmas and started the celebrations.

We had such a great time and it was really fun to be able to celebrate Scott together as a family.

Excuse me for a minute...

***Scott you sexy man you, I Love you.

I love you.

I.
Love.
You.

Never, have I loved anyone or anything more than I love you.

You.
Rock.

Let's smooch. ;)***

So now I'm off to plan the next thing that I can DO for my husband. Maybe I'll shower, brush my teeth and get out of my sweats. Now wouldn't that be a treat.

And Valentine's Day is right around the corner. Remember THIS post? Now that was fun.
And I am determined to not start bleeding to death like I did last Valentine's Day.


Thoughts?



5 comments:

Shaylynn... a girl, a story, a blog said...

What a sweet camera you have.

What an even sweeter husband you have.

Uhm, send one mine my. Just like him. Except he's gotta be tall.

Anonymous said...

wow! :)

Ashley said...

ahhh... how wonderful you did that. Scott sounds like my hubby. He is a doer too and I have come to expect it to, which is wrong and I am working on it.

Brenny said...

This made me tear up! And I just read it to my husband. We readers of yours can keep reminding you if you should forget. but this is sooo sweet and such a random cute idea!

The Arizona Russums said...

i LOVE that you did this! so sweet!